on burnout and quitting jobs with no plans
Brought the first plant from $CURRENT_JOB home today.
I handed my notice in two weeks ago with no real plan. I’m halfway through working my notice period now, and I don’t regret it at all. I will miss the people, but I figure that if I try hard enough I will be able to keep the friendships I want to keep (providing that they actually liked me in the first place).
Something that I am struggling with is the fact that I am obviously very burnt out. It doesn’t feel like I’ve physically done enough to be burnt out. I’ve done the right things - I’ve taken holidays, I sleep well and exercise, I’ve fed back to management when things were stressful, I’ve got hobbies and friends and creative pursuits outside of my job.
But it hasn’t worked out and I’m currently able to do very little and leaving mentally exhausted every day.
At times I’ve thought about dropping out of tech entirely - but when I go home and write some code and build or learn a thing I really do enjoy it.
It’s just... the job.
So: goodbye, job.
I’ve accepted an offer on another role. I’m going to take a break between them, but I’m excited.
The tree will probably be harder to carry on the underground.
I handed my notice in two weeks ago with no real plan. I’m halfway through working my notice period now, and I don’t regret it at all. I will miss the people, but I figure that if I try hard enough I will be able to keep the friendships I want to keep (providing that they actually liked me in the first place).
Something that I am struggling with is the fact that I am obviously very burnt out. It doesn’t feel like I’ve physically done enough to be burnt out. I’ve done the right things - I’ve taken holidays, I sleep well and exercise, I’ve fed back to management when things were stressful, I’ve got hobbies and friends and creative pursuits outside of my job.
But it hasn’t worked out and I’m currently able to do very little and leaving mentally exhausted every day.
At times I’ve thought about dropping out of tech entirely - but when I go home and write some code and build or learn a thing I really do enjoy it.
It’s just... the job.
So: goodbye, job.
I’ve accepted an offer on another role. I’m going to take a break between them, but I’m excited.
The tree will probably be harder to carry on the underground.
