bix: (pic#435558)
Bix ([personal profile] bix) wrote2019-06-18 11:35 pm

the joy of being shit at things

Went to a Blues (blues?) dance class this evening for the first time in many months. I had a great time but to just confirm I am absolutely shit at blues.

My knees don’t quite work the way they should for blues (too bendy in very much the wrong direction), stepping backwards makes me very nervous and TRAVELLING. God, travelling is difficult from the perspective of someone who has always been taught to get out of the way of oncoming people.

I suspect some people struggle with the concept of holding someone they’ve never met before close to themselves but I don’t really have the same hesitation.

Lindy hop and Charleston feel more natural to me (at least as a beginner). The stance doesn’t seem to do the weird thing to my knees and the classes are much more about individual movements and less about feeling and relaxing.

But - it’s really nice to be shit at something as a bona-fide adult when there’s an awful lot of pressure to be good at all of the things. It’s brilliant to be terrible at something that doesn’t actually really matter that much - dancing blues is never going to put a roof over my head or mean the difference between eating or not or define who I might marry or where I might live or...

I will probably keep going to classes to improve though.

And then find something else to be terrible at.